Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catastrophe

Catastrophe. Destruction. Devastation.
It all looks so idyllic. It has taken me a whole 24 hours plus to ready myself to blog about the incident. Yesterday, I made my rounds as usual... observing new garden growth, shaking my head at my tomatoes and their disappointing blight of some kind, smelling the hillside's herbs and flowers, then noticing something I couldn't quite place... down the hill, something askew, something off... something... oh the drop in my stomach at the slow realization, at the immensity of what was already impossible to undo. no... a quiet whisper... My dad happened to be in town, and I quickly nursed the baby, handed her and my son over to grandpa, suited up and headed down the hill.

The sinking feeling overcame me... I momentarily wanted to run, didn't want to face the gruesome reality. But the moment passed and I methodically prepared to confront the carnage. Nothing, not a thing I could do now but survey and salvage as much as possible, if possible.

It was obviously a bear. Not just any bear - THE bear. The same albino blackbear that loitered here last year, that strewed the neighbor's garbage about several weeks ago. I know this only because it came back late again in the afternoon, to lick up the scraps I suppose, and my dog gave me ample warning in growls. I ran out and yelled that mangey, yellowish, LARGE (much larger than last year) creature back down the slope.

To confront such a loss is so disheartening, so sad. So many bees lost. Every single topbar scraped clean of comb. The remaining comb pieces scattered about baking in the hot June sun, the young larvae and new emerging bees already dried and shriveling. I couldn't believe the efficiency of the ants. A steady line of ants were carrying eggs, larvae, dead workers out and away, cleaning up the scene before I even knew it existed.
I carefully picked up each small fragment of comb, searched with a small glimmer of hope for the queen and placed them back in the hive. One by one. Most comb simply gone. The few bees still alive were scooped up, and gently lowered into the hive. They were so disorganized, so frenzied, so angry. I cannot even count how many stingers were on my clothes, how many bees I witnessed dying on me as I tried to rescue them. The once gentle bees fighting with their lives...
I never found the queen. I'm fairly certain she is in the belly of the albino bear.

Well, this is life in its most natural sense. I have learned so much through this process... the biggest lesson being PUT UP A WILDLIFE EXCLUSION FENCE IN BEAR COUNTRY. Its up now, thanks to my husband. Its up and ready for another colony. I will check the survivors tomorrow. Check to see if there is any sign of cohesion, any sign I could possibly requeen them this late in the game, despite the complete absence of comb, despite the great stress, despite the minimal number of bees... there is always hope, even in the greatest of losses. I know... its only bees... but the lessons are applicable in all realms, and I am strangely thankful for that.




8 comments:

  1. you are such a good writer anna! I'm so sorry about the bees, it looks like you put a ton of work into the hive. What a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,
    I know we have talked already, but just wanted to tell you here again I am sorry this happened. This is so sad to read about and I am thinking of you.
    It is interesting to read about the ants and the stingers on your suit. All these things you took notice of- nature working as it does. I look forward to see what goes on, maybe the queen will be found they will make it through...
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna--
    Wow - I don't know what to say, but I'm so sorry. I know that this must be hard - your enthusiasm and willingness to try anything is contagious and I admire your sense of "try again" in the face of a set-back, even though it is "life in its most natural sense." Thinking of you today - hang in there...I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen, for something surely will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys... living and learning is not always flowers and rainbows, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can empathize. It was like the morning when I opened my hen chick coop to find a head, two feet, and an internal organ just inside the door. You've probably been worried something like this was going to happen, but as each day passed without incident, you were lulled into having a sense of false security. Same with me. The worst part is the guilt over knowing you could have done more to prevent it. I'm very sorry. They're not "only" bees, they have a very important job to do in this world. Did you fence just the area around the hive, or the entire property? We just got a one year old livestock guardian dog from a woman who has a fiber farm (goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas) near Missoula. He is INCREDIBLE! Do you have any animals? These dogs (ours is a Maremma/Great Pyrenees cross) can handle a bear. No need for a deer fence around my garden with Titus patrolling the property at night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about your post for two days now. I really don't know what to say. I feel so very badly for your loss. Hoping your exclusion fence does the trick. I've seen a flickr post ( if you are using a standard hive) where they strap the hive to cement blocks with those heavy car straps. That way the bear can knock them over (like a weeble if you are a child of the seventies), but can't get the hive apart. We have Charlotte strapped out at the organic farm, but didn't do it here. Hoping the bear that came through last year has moved on or won't like the electric fence we have around the hives now.
    Albino bear???

    Thinking of you too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your next post . . .hope you have many exciting things to show us in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. conduit for the electric cord? safer idea maybe.

    ReplyDelete