Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Begin in April

I have to thank my friend Sarah for this foray into blogging. Actually, I have to thank Sarah for many inspirations - beekeeping, local Montana living, a partner in running. Its so comforting to have friends who hold dear the same things as me, who inspire me with their genuine kindness, encouragement and grace. These people are invaluable and add that sprinkle of happiness to the world -they make us better people.

It is late April. My cheeks still sport a slight pink tinge from my first sunburn of the season - Monday was actually high 70s hot! The sunburn is keeping me warm on this cold, low 30s SNOWY Montana spring Thursday. Yes, springtime is a fickle thing here in the Flathead. It teases us with its elusive warm sun... the nurseries and gardens are bustling on those rare days... only to find themselves lonely and windswept the next, possibly even with another dusting of snow. I can recall living in Southern California and longing for the inclement weather of my childhood, longing to long for the sun. Now - the longing is strong and pulsing and gets me as giddy as a schoolgirl at the prospect of another nice day. That's what makes life so wonderful, right? The longing, the anticipation, the appreciation for the new.

And new is coming! My spring garden was planted 10 days ago. Already mesclun, mustard, onions, garlic and radishs emerge. Every time its like a miracle - the miraculous emergence! I don't really believe it can happen, then - look kids! - there's a seedling! Somehow life begins again all on its own, and our collective breath is taken away. I look around outside the garden at the new irises and serviceberry leaves, the dandelions and lilacs and even the greening lawn, and I want to shout out in amazement, I want to drag anyone I can find outside and say, "Look! How can it be?! The green has actually returned!"

Ah, so much promise and optimism. It is a good time, and I am invigorated. Now, we finish the top bar bee hive and await our Monday arrival of bees, all the while checking in on the strawberry and asparagus transplants and the many new seedlings of this early Montana spring.

1 comment:

  1. This is very nice sweet daughter. I love to read your words. Keep us up to date this way....it is very poetic, thoughtful, and inspiring. Love to our beautiful Montana family.

    ReplyDelete