Monday, April 27, 2009

The Top Bar Hive

Jarrod's masterpiece
So here we are, the top bar hive is completed (the roof is on the ground to the left), and my husband is proud of his carpentry skills. The journey from the here to now -the day the bees arrive- has been both exciting and nerve-wracking. To step into the world of the apiarist fills me with butterflies, but here we go, bees.




Jarrod holds one top bar with the strip of beeswax in place, ready for the comb building to begin

The decision to begin this journey hiving the bees top bar vice the traditional "white box" langstroth was an easy one for me. Having never raised bees, but learning of the many diseases, parasites and problems they now face - ever heard of colony collapse disorder? - I felt letting the bees create their own comb and essentially their own hive was a style best suited to my ideals. It is all a grand experiment, will take time, and may not always be successful. Over time, however, I hope to learn the subtle expressions of the colony, to enable the best suited bees to strengthen naturally, and one day have several healthy bee colonies that may just share with me some of their hard earned honey. Cut comb honey anyone?


A hive with a view

We positioned the top bar hive with its three entrances facing southeast, allowing the warm, early sun to motivate the bees first thing in the morning. To the north, a steep, rocky slope protects the hive from bitter northeasterlies. To the west, a large twisted serviceberry provides protection from the southwesterlies that pummel us with the occasional thunderstorm. The legs of the hive are partially buried in the rocks to stabilize and level the hive. Bees naturally build comb according to gravity, so if I want straight comb, the hive needs to be level. The hive is elevated off the ground, so mice/skunks/etc. shouldn't be a problem. I'll watch for ants, but my biggest concern is bears. Winnie the Pooh is a real problem here in Montana... I'll share some honey, Pooh, just be gentle on my bees.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Now begins the adventure. (I may be a little hesitant into venturing into that part of your property when visiting however! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mom... You'll get used to them. :) Actually, the bees are just over our property line on Mike's "bench". It is in Cypress' dog trail, so hopefully she'll learn to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all your new endeavors - the blog, the bees, the gardens. You are a real go-getter Anna. I look forward to reading/seeing all about it...Camie

    ReplyDelete