Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Getting settled...

Sunny Day Flying
It has been one week since our little ladies' installation. I have to contain myself and not harass them everyday - they need the time and space to get established in their new home. However, it is quite fascinating to walk down over the bank of the hill, balance precariously on the rocky glacial til soil (can I even call it soil?!), and simply observe a sunny day hive. The bees bustle about with a purpose beyond my comprehending, as busy as bees so they say. I have yet to notice any pollen on the bees, but I'm hoping they are finding it in all their foraging. The bees will eat, and more importantly, feed their young the protein rich pollen. There are currently no synthetic pollens available that can remotely compare to the real thing, so I have to trust the land will provide. And it will... pollen for the bees, pollination for the plants... such a lovely symbiotic relationship.
The sugar water supplement in hive box, separated from main hive by a follower board


I do check almost daily the level of sugar syrup the bees have consumed. Because there is so little nectar available yet, I am supplementing with a 1:1 ratio of organic sugar dissolved (but not boiled - that can cause bee dysentary) in water. If they survive the winter, I would like to forego this next year, and allow them to feed on their own honey instead. But for now, being newbees, they seem mighty appreciative and have been consuming nearly a jarful a day!



Bees clinging to a topbar


I have checked the main hive several times - only lifting one topbar off each visit. I am amazed by the cohesive clinging ability of these girls! They link legs and hang in this pattern, most likely beginning to build comb so their queen can begin her egg laying. I fret - I don't see any comb! what if they build comb over multiple bars? what if this cold weather permanently weakens them? what if the queen has flown away?! - but I realize these bees are in far more capable hands than mine... their creator's and their own.

1 comment:

  1. Yea for bees! Glad to hear they have arrived and are doing well. Wishing you all the best with your new girls!

    ReplyDelete