Monday, May 18, 2009

Hive Inspection II

Serviceberry Blooms = Happy Bees


It is springtime... warm, shorts, bare feet springtime. Suddenly everything has awakened. Stubbornly slow leaves now unfurl in an afternoon. Cherry blossoms appear one day and bloom the next. The whole slope down to the river is covered in thousands... millions! of white serviceberry flowers, all arriving within the last couple days. I walk back to the garden and am happily assaulted by a sweet, fruity fragrance that must be savored... it will only last a moment til something new will take its place. Its so intoxicating I could walk circles around our house all evening. The bees must smell it too - they are actively pursuing the spring show, and (for this week anyway) are healthy and happy.


Comb Number 1


I inspected the hive Sunday afternoon to find five topbars with well developed comb and a sixth bar comb beginning. The eggs have progressed, and some areas are capped. There are new eggs in all the comb, more nectar stores, more pollen stores too. I am venturing a guess - I think the five combs are the brood comb, and honey comb will begin soon on the other bars. These bees have a lot of work cut out for them - not only feeding themselves, but feeding and raising brood, collecting extra food, and making wax combs. All this entails adequate food stores (even wax - its a by product of digestion), so this warm blooming weather is vastly appreciated.

Some capped brood, nectar and pollen



I found her! (look for the green dot)

The kids and I voted: my son's suggestion wins - the queen's name is Flower. This inspection, I wanted not only to find evidence, but to find Flower herself. On the third bar I saw it! The green that shouldn't be there in all of that yellow and brown and black. My eyes immediately made out the long thin shape surrounding the green dot and realized Flower was there crawling about the comb, fulfilling her lifelong baby making duty. She darted (and that's not an exaggeration - she was quick) around the comb so I had to carefully shift hands and turn the bar to watch her. I observed the workers almost piling upon her, protecting her from my prying eyes. Is this normal queen threat behavior? I decided to quickly return the bar to the hive lest I lose my most prized bee, so Queen Flower was plunged back into the safety of the dark before the hive became too stressed.



Comb I pried off the first follower board. No brood, just food.











4 comments:

  1. Looks like tons of brood in a nice pattern! Go Queen Flower, go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Anna, you should do a post sometime on the history of bee-hives. I remember growing up watching cartoons and seeing those hives that some women used to shape their hair like. In fact, there's one of those hives on the Utah state flag:

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Flag_of_Utah.svg

    What ever happened to those things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! What a beautiful photo of the comb held up to the sun! When I walk past our blooming cherry tree, the buzzing sound is so pleasant, when it was sunny, that is. Enjoying the gloom? What a teaser that warm spell was. It'll be back, though, it'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy friend! Stopped by Caleb's today and checked out his two top-bar hives...ooooh, the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete